1 Corinthians 9:20-22
To the Jews I become like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I become like one under the law(though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I become like one not having the law(though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’ law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I become the weak to win the weak. I have become all things to all man so that by all possible means I might save some.

From what I understand in the passage above is that in any circumstances we become it to understand someone that we may in any possible means save that person. I believe the passage is saying, how can we save someone if we do not understand them? It’s as if we’re speaking Bahasa Melayu to an American. How will he or she understand unless we speak in their language or interpret what are we saying?

I hope that I understood and explained that passage correctly but there is a confusion that occurred as I read that passage. Is the passage trying to say that if I wanted to reach out to a smoker, I have to be a smoker? If I wanted to save a rebellion I have to be one too? I kinda knew that wasn’t what the passage was trying to reach to me, but I couldn’t prove or explain why that isn’t what it is trying to say to me. By God’s grace and wisdom that He has given me, I finally got my answer as I was doing my devotion the other say, and it is found in 1 Corinthians 10:31 and 32 –
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God – even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

It make sense doesn’t it? And I think it totally answers my question. In whatever I do, I do it for the glory of God. If I were to reach out to a smoker, by reaching out I am doing it for His glory and at the same time, I do not be a smoker when I am trying to reach out to a smoker cause it does not give glory to Him if I smoke too.

Secondly, in whatever I do I must not cause anyone around me to stumble whether my family in Christ or not. If my actions do cause any of my family in Christ to stumble, I should rather not do anything to cause the member of the body to stumble in his or her faith. If a unsaved person sees what is done and is something that would cause him or her to stumble even further from believing that Jesus Christ is the one and only Savior, I should just leave and not do anything more to cause that person to stumble even further. Though as Christians our purpose is to serve others and please others in whatever way we can so that we may bring them to the knowledge of Christ, we should always be aware not to be a stumbling block to another and in whatever we do. There should be nothing but one motif that is for the glory of God.

Friday, December 12, 2008

0 Comments:

 
Overwhelmed with God's love - Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger